L.A.Fans Data Access Requirement
Application Procedure for Restricted Data
The application process involves three different parties: (1) the Restricted Data Investigator, (2) RAND, and (3) the Institutional Review Board and contracting authority at the researchers’ organization. If the Restricted Data Investigator is applying as an associate of a federally-funded research center, the Center Director of that research center is also involved in the application process.
The approval process is broken down into four major steps:
- Submit an initial application (items required in the initial request is listed below) to RAND (L.A.FANS staff) for review and approval.
- Upon approval of initial application from RAND, you will turn in the submitted material to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Contracting Authority (CA) for review.
- After the IRB/CA approval, you will submit the signed original of the institutional approval statement to L.A.FANS.
- L.A.FANS will then log and review IRB forms, and upon approval, you will sign and submit the contract with the data processing fee.
Items Required for the Initial Request
- A research proposal;
- A complete list of individuals who will have access to the data (including, as appropriate, the Restricted Data Investigator, co-investigators, research staff, and computer system administration) and their current CVs;
- A detailed Data Protection Plan;
- Written assurance by the researcher that his/her institution has an Institutional Review Board (IRB) for Human Subjects which has a Multiple Project Assurance (MPA) or Federalwide Assurance (FWA) from NIH. The MPA or FWA number must be submitted with the application. Documentation of the IRB review and approval does not need to be submitted with the initial application.
- A check for the fee made payable to RAND Corporation to cover administrative and handling costs. The fee for Version 1 Restricted Data is $100. For Versions 2 and 3, the fee is $500. Please note that the fee is non-refundable under any circumstances.
L.A.FANS Contact and Information, click here.