Two Assistant Professors in Sociology (Tenure Track) Tilburg University
Members of the Department of Sociology supervise Bachelor and Master students and teach a variety of degree courses at both Bachelors and Masters level in the Sociology programs and participate in the two-year Research Master Program (including the Sociology track). Our (international and Dutch) Bachelor Programs offers a variety of courses in Sociology. Our Master program focuses on Politics, Policies and Society in Comparative perspective. We offer an extended Master program, allowing students to gain experience in internships, and double degree-programs with the University of Trento (Italy) and with Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain). Furthermore, together with colleagues from other Tilburg departments (HRS and OS), Sociology staff participates in the Bachelor ‘Global Management of Social Issues’. Further information about the Department is available at: Job description
We pursue to optimize research time available to active faculty in conjunction with a reasonable teaching load. Working conditions are otherwise comparable to major research universities in North America and Europe. The standard teaching load for (tenure-track) faculty, in total per year, amounts to the equivalent of three courses plus guidance of Bachelor and Master’s thesis projects. Compensation is competitive with similar schools, and we provide support for conferences and other research-related expenses.
The successful candidate for the tenure track position has the following qualifications. He/she:
- holds a PhD in Sociology or a related Social Science field, preferably with a specialization in themes such as Social Inequality, Globalization and Migration, and/or Urban Sociology;
- has a specialization in quantitative and/or qualitative research methods.
- is a passionate researcher and a passionate teacher;
- has a pipeline of publications, and some publications accepted already;
- has the ability to obtain and manage research grants
- has experience and affinity with teaching in the area of Sociology
- has excellent skills in English;
Conditions of employment
Tilburg University is rated among the top Dutch employers, offering excellent terms of employment. The collective labor agreement of Tilburg University applies. For the tenure track position there is a 5 years fixed term contract with the possibility of tenure thereafter depending on performance and financial situation of the department. The salary for the position of an Assistant Professor on a full-time basis ranges between € 3.427 and € 4.691 gross per month (not including various allowances).
Contract type: Temporary, 5 years
The research of the Department of Sociology focuses on aspects of social inequality and social cohesion in a comparative and dynamic perspective:
- Topics studied within the broader theme of social inequality are work, occupation, poverty, welfare and health.
- Topics studied within social cohesion are values, solidarity and trust, religion, family, and social capital.
- The comparative perspective focuses on the comparison of (mostly European) countries, either from a macro-perspective or a micro-macro perspective.
- The dynamic perspective consists of comparing countries or social groups across historical time on the one hand, and comparing individuals over their personal life course on the other hand.
The program is motivated by substantive forces in society (i.e., processes of (post)modernization in western societies) and by methodological innovations (i.e., the development of dynamic and multilevel data and statistical models).
The research is organized in the program Social and Cultural Dynamics and consists of several larger research projects, such as the European Values Studies, ESPAnet, the Panel Study of Social and Cultural Dynamics, the Netherlands Kinship Panel Study, and the European Data Center for Work and Welfare.
Specific information about the vacancy can be obtained from Prof. dr. Peter Achterberg, chair of the department of Sociology, at firstname.lastname@example.org.